This week, for me was a bit of an emotional one. It wasn't just the homework is getting tough or me not having time to relax, it was a current event that's been on my mind recently. Throughout the last week, the NFL has been in some very hot water.
Ray Rice of the Baltimore Ravens was suspended from the NFL after a video of assaulting his wife Janay, went viral. The video came out two weeks after the NFL developed a new, yet harsher policy on domestic violence.
On the other hand, Minnesota Vikings has now reversed their decision to keep Adrian Peterson on their team. This decision comes right after Peterson admitted that he abused his son with a light switch.
After hearing and watching these stories unfold, I'm ashamed of being a man in general, period. It makes really sad and very upset that men are the ones dominating their relationships between women and children. Now, I'm just sitting here thinking:
1. "Where does the line get drawn between disciplining a child and using abuse to get your way?"
2. "Why do men have to use violence to solve their problems?"
3. "What needs to be done to make sure both of these incidents don't happen?"
Personally, I never think it's OK for men to hit women and children because children don't have that mentality to see what's good behavior and what's bad behavior. As for women, they have the power and authority to leave the relationship before it turns ugly and then start to seek help.
So a question that I want to ask you is:
While we still live in a very progressive society, do you think that we still live in a pre-domaintly male culture?
Please feel free to comment below and I look forward to reading your responses.
Hey Ryan, I am also interested in the happenings of the NFL and its players, being an avid fan myself. Being a woman my view however may be different than yours. Although I think the actions of both men were horrendous, I do not think the NFL should have gotten involved. I understand these men should be held accountable for their actions, but let the court handle that. That is what the court is for and since these are matters of the court, the NFL shouldnt be getting involved. If the NFL feels they need to then they are going to have a huge problem on their hands because I can tell you that there are more occurances of things like this than the NFL wants to admit. If they are to punush people everytime something of "the state" happens, there will be no players left to play. My comment may come off as harsh or crazy because everyone thinks they got what they deserved, think of it this way: There are many politicians who have done all the offenses and they have all kept their jobs (some have gotten punished, a few have lost their jobs, but most get a "slap on the wrist"). If the NFL wants to punish the players for their problems, shouldnt the government do the same for their politicians?
ReplyDelete