Sunday, October 19, 2014

GLAAD's Spirit Day

This past Thursday, you might have seen a sea of purple flooding in your Facebook and Twitter feeds about Spirit Day. I'm not talking about having school spirit at a football game or waving pom-poms out in the crowds; I'm talking about a day set aside nationwide to make a difference in the LGBT community.

Spirit Day 2014-GLADD's Facebook Page

Spirit Day is a day sponsored by GLAAD in which  many students, teachers, celebrities, and media outlets to wear purple or to go purple on social media platforms to take a stand against bullying and to show their support for LGBT (Lesbian, Gay, Bi, and Transgender) youth. Spirit Day first started back in 2010 by a teenager who wanted to remember LGBT youth who lost their lives to suicide and to take a stand against bullying. The color "purple" is also part of the rainbow flag and it resembles spirit.

Not only many companies, and major TV networks showed their support but so did popular landmarks such as the Los Angeles City Hall in Los Angeles, California, Wells Fargo's Duke Energy Tower in Charlotte, North Carolina and even the Empire State Building in New York City.

I also wore purple during Thursday's KSSU News. The reason why I took part in this was because I wanted to take a stand against bullying and to show my support for LGBT youth in the Marshall and Sioux Falls communities.

Spirit Day is just one of two days for millions of people to take a stand against bullying during National Bullying Prevention Month in the month of October.

This Wednesday, join me and many more people for Unity Day as we also take a stand against bullying and to promote safe and supportive schools and communities.

For more information about GLAAD's Spirit Day, a recap of Spirit Day 2014 and Unity Day (PACER's National Bullying Center) check out the following links:
http://www.glaad.org/blog/photosvideo-glaad-leads-millions-stand-against-bullying-spiritday 
http://www.glaad.org/spiritday/about
http://www.pacer.org/bullying/nbpm/unity-day.asp

No comments:

Post a Comment