Sunday, October 12, 2014

The Last Homecoming as an SMSU Student

As the Rise of the Mustangs Homecoming celebration concludes today, I thought I would talk about one of my favorite highlights of Homecoming is none other than the Homecoming Parade that I got to be involved in each of my four years at SMSU.

The SMSU Homecoming Parade is just one of the annual productions that KSSU-TV does and it is one of the service projects that the SMSU Radio and TV Club gets to do each year. KSSU-TV televises this parade each year for the sole purpose of community members that don't have a way of getting to downtown Marshall to attend the parade in person.

For the last two years, I was very fortunate to serve as a Roving Reporter in which I got a chance to interact with SMSU students and the Marshall community to talk about their favorite Homecoming events.

KSSU-TV's Homecoming Parade 2013 Roving Reporters:
Ryan Bartz (right), Leah Hester (center), and Michael Sterling (left)
Courtesy: KSSU Radio/TV-Marshall,MN Facebook Page
While having a positive, upbeat attitude was my favorite part about being a Roving Reporter, the worst part was having candy getting thrown at you by the people walking in the parade (it was something out of my control but it is what it is).

It was a lot of fun and I would totally do this all over again. To top it all off, I also enjoyed the Homecoming Football game that got me off my seat as the Mustangs defeated the Upper Iowa Peacocks 28 to 25.

Overall, I really enjoyed my last Homecoming as an SMSU student and in case you didn't get a chance to see the parade on Saturday, have no fear it will be replayed this Tuesday and Thursday at 9:00 p.m. on Charter 28.9 (on campus) or 180 (off campus) and WOW 67. It can also be viewed online under the Campus Life section (KSSU-TV Live Stream) of the SMSU website.

Hope you all had a very nice Homecoming and please share your thoughts, experiences of this year's Homecoming festivities.

No comments:

Post a Comment